A leaked draft coalition agreement between the United Democratic Alliance (UDA), the Amani National Congress (ANC), and Ford Kenya has revealed the intricate details of the power-sharing deal between the United Democratic Alliance (UDA), the Amani National Congress (ANC), and Ford Kenya as the Kenya Kwanza alliance approaches its primaries.
The coalition’s flagbearer would be Deputy President William Ruto, with the running-mate seat going to the vote-rich Mt Kenya region, according to the draft coalition agreement.
A UDA member will be picked as the running mate.
Musalia Mudavadi of the ANC and Moses Wetangula of Ford-Kenya will share 30% of the government if the coalition forms the next administration, with the remaining 70% going to UDA and other affiliate parties.
In terms of the coalition’s nominations procedure, the parties will prefer to reach an agreement through negotiations rather than through the voting box, especially for constituent parties in their respective strongholds.
In the distribution of resources, the same formula will be used. A technical group led by seasoned politicians such as Tharaka Nithi Senator Kithure Kindiki (UDA), lawyers Dan Ameyo (ANC) and Benson Milimo(Ford-Kenya) formulated the suggested formula.
The announcement comes as DP Ruto’s team declared a one-week campaign pause in order to fine-tune the document before submitting it to the Registrar of Political Parties by Saturday, April 9.
Both the Kenya Kwanza and Azimio La Umoja political factions have struggled to choose the best candidates for different counties.
In order for the coalitions to remain together, some politicians have dropped their campaigns in favor of others.
The UDA party’s primaries will take place on Thursday, April 14, while the ANC’s nominations will take place from Tuesday, April 12 to Thursday, April 21.