The first end-of-primary-school examination under the competency-based curriculum is slated for November, and parents with students in Grade 6 have been advised against purchasing sample exams (CBC).
For the summative assessment, which makes up 40% of a learner’s final grade, some businesspeople have already begun selling sample test questions. The remaining 60% will come from formative tests taken in Grades 4, 5, and 6.
With the pioneer class transitioning in January 2023, the final score will be utilized to place students in junior secondary school (JSS).
“Because learners are going to be assessed in Grade 6, there are people selling model papers supposedly for that grade. Do not buy them; they must be approved by KICD. We want to make this assessment as natural as possible, almost like what they do in school on a day-to-day basis,” said Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development chief executive Charles Ong’ondo.
“Let parents expect a low stakes assessment because we already have 60 per cent of their ability through 20 marks from Grade 4, Grade 5 and Grade 6,” said Prof Ong’ondo.
He said in JSS, the curriculum allows learners an opportunity to explore their potential and interests before choosing their preferred pathways in senior secondary school.
Prof Ong’ondo further warned business people to be aware of government circulars, especially pertaining to books “so that you don’t buy the wrong books”.
He warned teachers from private schools against giving learners unreasonable assignments instead of using locally available materials.
“Why download stuff where children can draw or get from existing materials like newspapers. Parents are complaining that CBC is expensive because a few private schools have teachers who give unreasonable assignments. A few private schools have exaggerated the demands,” Prof Ong’ondo said.