A logbook is a crucial document that certifies a vehicle’s ownership. It may be used as security when you sell your car or obtain a loan from a logbook loan provider. In order to prevent costs that you can suffer if your logbook is lost, it is crucial to take proper care of it. The NTSA offers a procedure for replacing a misplaced logbook. The process is done online via the TIMS self-service portal.
Here is a step by step guide on how to replace a lost logbook in Kenya.
1. Get a police abstract.
Check out:How to get a police abstract online
2. Obtain a tape lifting report from DCI. This involves the verification of your vehicle’s chassis and engine numbers to confirm whether the details match with registration documents.
3. Go to the NTSA TIMS portal via tims.ntsa.go.ke.
4. Log in to your account using your username and password.
5. Select Apply for duplicate logbook then choose create new.
6. Click on Apply against the vehicle whose logbook is lost.
7. A page/form will be displayed showing particulars of the vehicle.
7. Fill out the form appropriately by selecting the notification methods, counter collection office and reason for application of duplicate logbook.
8. Upload a copy of the police abstract and the DCI tape lifting report.
9. Proceed to make payment via your preferred method or options available. Mpesa is the most convenient means. The system will generate an invoice as proof of payment. You will be charged a fee of Ksh 2,500.
10. Submit your application after successfully making the payment.
11. The process will take about 1-2 weeks depending on the number of applications for the same matter. If successful, you will receive a notification via SMS or email. Alternatively, you can log in to your TIMS portal and check the status of your application.