Are you looking to save some coins or are you in a tight budget, well then the good news is you do away with your electricity bill without a struggle. In partnership with Safaricom, the Kenya Power and Lighting Company allows you to pay your electricity bill using the Bonga points you have been stashing for some time.
The bonga point service can now be used by both the postpaid and prepaid KPLC customers. The chief executive officer of the Kenya Power and Lighting Company,Mr. Benard Ngugi issued a statement during the launching of the initiative encouraging Kenyans to take advantage of the initiative.
“We are aware of how the pandemic affected our fellow Kenyans. We therefore saw it worse to help ease the burden of paying the bills. You can now use your Safaricom Bonga Points to pay for electricity bill. Therefore as an organization we urge all Kenyans to make use of this opportunity.” He said.
Follow the following steps to pay for your bill using Bonga points;
1. On your Safaricom line, dial *126#
2. Select the option “lipa na bonga points”
3. Select the paybill option
4. Use the business No. 888888 for the postpaid customers and the number 888880 for the prepaid customers.
5. Keenly enter your account number( your box meter number)
6. Enter the amount of money for your electricity bill. (The amount of money automatically deducts from the bonga points.) Remember to check at the Bonga calculator to know the conversions of bonga to Shillings.
7. Put your mpesa service pin to complete the process.
8. You will receive a confirmation text from both Safaricom and Kenya power after the process is done.
During the launch Safaricom added that the initiative was meant to help around 7.1 million Kenyans. The rates are as follows;
One bonga point is worth 20 cents. Ideally 5000 bonga points are worth around 1000 Kenyan shillings which equate to 60-65 token.
If you are unaware of how many points are needed’ dial the USSD *126# and go to bonga points and then “Bonga pointa calculator”
The service also allows you to pay someone else’s electricity bill using your own bonga points.