You might be wondering what a certificate of good conduct is. Well, a certificate of good conduct also known as a police clearance certificate is a document given to an individual by the Directorate of Criminal Activities to confirm their criminal record. If you’re seeking a police clearance cert for employment purposes you might need to confirm from your institution as some of them require an affidavit of good conduct instead.
A certificate of good conduct is needed for various reasons, for employment, when vying for a leadership position or any other government service that might require the same.
Not everyone who resides in Kenya is eligible for the application. The following categories however, are eligible for the cert application.
1. Any Kenyan citizen who lives in the country or abroad.
2. Foreigners who have Kenyan Citizenship
3. Refugees or Aliens seeking refuge in Kenya.
In this article we’re going to give a comprehensive guide on how you can easily apply for the good conduct certificate online
- Navigate to the DCI portal and log in to your E-citizen account.
Use your username which is your email address and password to access the Portal’s dashboard
- Go to Directorate of Criminal Investigation tab and select Get Services
- Follow the guidelines provided to complete your application
- You will be needed to pay an application fee of 1050. Choose M-pesa as your payment mode and make the payment.
- Download and print the good conduct and other two copies of the C24 document and the payment invoice.
Present the Documents to the nearest CID offices near you.
- Alongside, remember to carry your National Identity Card. In case the applicant is a minor, carry their birth certificate. At the office a CID officer will take you through biometrics to finish up the process.
Initially the applications were only open to persons over 18 years of age. However, in the recent past minors are allowed to apply for the conduct but only with the help of their parents.
Foreigners on the other hand are only allowed to apply if they have resided in Kenya for at least 6 months. Additionally, a foreigner is also required to present a document from an employer and their work persmits.
For refugees is required to present an original of UNHCR mandate letters. Another mandatory requirement is the movement pass. A fee of 1000 shillings is also required.
In Kenya, the certificate of good conduct is renewable annually. (Strictly valid for only a year.) You can also renew the document online via the E-citizen account.