The iTax online platform has made it easier for taxpayers to meet their various tax-related obligations. Filing KRA tax returns in iTax has become simpler and more straightforward. Every registered taxpayer in Kenya who has obtained a Personal Identification Number (PIN) from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) is required to file tax returns every financial year. Those who have no business or are not in gainful employment must file nil KRA tax returns.
The iTax filing system is designed to accept the various type of KRA returns such as Income tax related to the resident individual, corporates, partnership and indirect tax such as VAT and Excise. You must select and file the appropriate type of iTax returns based on your tax obligations.
How to file KRA iTax returns online
The steps for filing KRA returns are almost identical to those for filing income tax returns for individuals, corporate income tax returns, and VAT returns. The only difference between each type of tax return is the information required and the format in which it must be submitted.
For example, the details and format for filing KRA returns for income will differ from those for filing VAT returns, but the steps to file returns will be similar.
The following are the steps for filing KRA returns.
- Visit the iTax filing portal using https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
- Login to iTAX portal with PIN and password.
- Click on ‘e-Returns’ or select ‘Returns’ from the navigation menu and click on ‘File Returns’.
- Select the Type, Enter your taxpayer’s PIN and select the Tax obligation applicable to you and click ‘Next’.
- Based on the tax obligation you have selected, it opens the relevant tax form. For example, if you have selected ‘VAT’ as your tax obligation, it will open the VAT return form.
- This page will take you through the filling process and will have detailed instructions to file tax returns.
The instruction will also have links to download the tax returns form in Excel or ODS format. Click the relevant link to download the template and save it on your computer.
- Fill all applicable areas in the downloaded tax returns form and save your document on your computer.
- Make sure you enable macros to be able to ‘Validate’ and Zip your File.
- Go to the iTax tax return filing page and select the period for which you are filing the returns.
- Upload the zip file and agree to the terms and conditions by ticking the checkbox.
- Finally, click ‘Submit’ button to upload the returns and click ‘OK’ for the pop-up message ‘Do you want to upload the form’
On filing KRA Returns, an e-return receipt will be generated with message return submitted successfully along with acknowledgment number.
To summarize, the iTax filing process is very simple if you have all of the information needed in the downloaded excel file. Filing KRA returns becomes much easier for businesses if they use software that can auto-capture the details into the excel format prescribed in the iTax filing system and upload it to complete the process of filing KRA returns.
As discussed in the ‘How to File KRA Returns’ section above, the steps for itax filing are similar for all types of returns applicable to businesses and individuals. This makes the process of iTax filing easier and simple