The government, through the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development, has announced that all youths who took part in Phase Three Cohort 1 Kazi Mtaani programme will receive their payment.
According to the announcement made by the Principal Secretary (PS) in the State Department of Housing and Urban Development, Charles Hinga on 9th July the delays are attributed to administration challenges.
“To all Cohort 1 Kazi Mtaani youths, apologies for delays, we are processing your payment. Unfortunately we’ve been caught in the financial year end admin challenges but every effort is being made to pay you. It might be delayed a bit but as always we shall make good your payment” He tweeted
Through his social media account on Tuesday 12th July Hinga said “Ordinarily, gava pays 30 days after services are rendered. We had a special dispensation for Kazi Mtaani owing to the fact that this was addressing serious vulnerabilities. However, if you recall even last year we had a similar challenge during same time of the financial year end I’m hopeful that we shall pay this week, there are good signs. as soon as we receive the cash, we shall disburse immediately.”
According to the PS , cohort 1 will resume next week Tuesday together with those that worked for 5 days & others left out because they didn’t get sms
Ps Hinga also addressed claims made by political leaders that the government had increased the payments ,asking the youths to make the right decision before electing leaders on August 9th.
“Those MPs & politicians from the comfort of their car rooftops that told you they increased Kazi Mtaani pay from Sh455 to Sh 1000 are extremely irresponsible & are playing politics with you. Parliamentary transactions are captured on Hansard, ask them for proof of this increase. What they did was to cut what The President promised the youths during last year’s Mashujaa Day from Sh 10bn to Sh 2,5bn. Most of you don’t think politics matter, but if someone is willing to play politics with your livelihood then 9/8/22 you have the power to hire or fire them”
The clarification follows claims by Deputy President William Ruto in an interview with NTV on Sunday that the program was a way of deliberately stealing the little that is set aside for the youth.
According to Ruto, young people participating in the National Hygiene program should be earning more than the Sh500 they receive per day.
He also accused government officials of sabotaging the Big 4 Agenda, which would have created better jobs for the youth and pushed for the rollout of the Kazi Mtaani program because the election was close.
“Officials want a situation where we have desperate young people who are easy to manipulate and that is why we have this Kazi Mtaani thing.”
“You pay young people Sh1,000… I hear now it’s not even that because someone has run away with Sh500,” Ruto stated.